Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The End of the Pits

I have a thing for kitchen tools.  I really like them.  Garlic presses, zesters, kitchen scissors, measuring cups... In fact, for my birthday and Christmas, I usually get some kind of kitchen tool as a gift from my family.

Some gadgets you have in a drawer and never use.  They are not worth the space they are taking up in your drawer, and hardly worth having to wash when you've used them.  Others you use everyday.  Then there are those that you don't use often, but when you do it's so helpful that nothing else could do what it does.

the amazing pitter












My cherry pitter falls into the 3rd category!
Do you have one?
Have you ever used one?

It's genius! When I pull it out to use it –people are wowed!  It's simple, inexpensive, it takes very little drawer space and with the squeeze of your hand you can have a pitted fresh cherry.  And as special as cherries are,  cherries with pits are a challenge to reckon with – unless you enjoy the eating and spitting activity. (Which I do, given the right time and setting).

When you have cherries with the pits removed you can put them in a fruit salad, or make a pie, or chop them up for a topping on a meat dish.  You can find one at a kitchen store for about $10. (Ours is the oxo brand that my mom got at Bed, Bath and Beyond a few years ago).  You ought to consider buying one, if you love fresh cherries.


Lucy is really into cherries and is actually a very skilled pitter with this handy dandy gadget, especially considering that she is 3 years old.

My friend Melissa (the florist) was coming over for our women's prayer group the other night and was in charge of bringing a goody.  A few minutes before group she texted to tell me that she was on her way and asked if she could use my pitter for cherries for her dessert.  "Of course" was my reply and in a few minutes she arrived with a delightful Almond Shortcake, freshly whipped cream and fresh cherries.  We oohed and ahhed. She said our friend, Beth, who gave her the recipe serves it with blackberries.  Both sound amazing to me.

The Almond Shortcake is like a huge, puffy, almond sugar cookie with toasted almonds on top with a crunchy edge.  There is something so simple, yet elegant about this shortbread and it is de-li-cious! It seemed like the Shortcake and the cherries complemented each other so well.  Don't you think almonds and cherries often do that?



1 cup sugar
1/4 cup (4 Tbsp) unsalted butter
2 eggs
2 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour

For topping:
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp sliced almonds

Preheat oven to 350º
Cream the sugar and butter
Mix in almond and vanilla extracts
Mix in eggs, one at a time
Mix in flour until combined
Pour into a greased 9" pie pan
Top with sugar and sliced almonds
Bake for 20-25 minutes until lightly browned on edges and a toothpick comes out clean.

Top with whipped cream and fresh fruit: berries or cherries or peaches. 

Cherries have been on sale the past few weeks here – so it has been time for cherries at our house.  And the pitter has hardly made it to the drawer, as it has been in constant use.  So, go get yourself a pitter or add it to your wish list!



4 comments:

  1. Whoa! This looks and sounds amazing. I've never used a cherry pitter but I can see that I will soon need to buy one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I realized how much I need a cherry pitter today as I sliced 2 cups of cherries in half and dug out the pits WITH MY FINGERNAILS!!! Urg! Next time I see a cherry pitter at Target or Bed Bath and Beyond, I'm buying one!! :) Nevertheless, I'll be sad when cherry season is over-we've really enjoyed them this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My 18mo kept eating the cherries until he got to the pit then he'd give it all back to me. At first I thought he just wasn't sure if he like them. Then one day I got out the cherry pitter. Why didn't I do that sooner? All those cherries were GONE within a few minutes with my 18mo eating his fair share. I'm going to buy more just so I can pair them with this cake. It sounds heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Had this last night at Kendra's and it was amaszing!!!! Great recipe! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete